You will need to setup a google account, unless you already have one for the office. It’s a good idea to create a generic account that multiple people can access in case someone leaves or is out for an extended period.
You can then go to https://console.developers.google.com
Select your country of residence and then click no and yes to accept terms of service
You will then click the button that is right below API in the top left corner that will open the dashboard (see image below)
Once inside the APIs & Services Dashboard, you will click the create button to create a new developer project
This will bring up a place to name the project. You will likely want to name it Qwickly[your institution name]. You do not need to do anything for parent organization. Then click create.
You will then need to click on Library to search for two APIs. Click within the search box. The first one you will search for is Google Drive API by typing drive. Once this pops up click on the Google Drive API to enable it
You will then need to search for Google Picker API by searching for picker and follow the same steps to enable that.
Then click the back arrow to go back to the dashboard, where you will select credentials.
Click the create credentials drop down and select API Key
This will bring up a new screen to create your new API Key. If you would like you can choose to rename the API Key name, or you can leave the default. Then select HTTP referrers if not already selected.
Next select API restrictions, and make sure Google Drive API and Google Picker API are selected. Then save the new API Key.
Back in the credentials dashboard, click on OAuth consent screen. Within this screen, you’ll type:
- Your email address, or the email address of the account (It may pre-populate)
- Product name shown to users will be your institution name
- Homepage URL is your institutions home page
- You can leave Product Logo URL blank
- You can put in the URL for your institution’s terms of service if available.
Next click the create credentials drop down and choose oAuth client ID
You going to select web application, and then type in Qwickly in Name field. If you are self-hosted you will type in your institution’s web address in the next field, but if you are Blackboard or manage hosted, you will type in your Blackboard domain. In the example, it’s where https://qwickly.edu is typed in.
A box will pop up with your client ID and client secret, which you will want to record in a safe location. The client ID will also be needed later to be entered into the Qwickly module settings in blackboard.
You should now see an API Key and an OAuth client ID
Next, if you are self hosted, you can send information about your web information (your domain) and send this link https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools to access google search console to a web administrator at your institution, in order to verify ownership. If you are managed hosted, click here to jump to the specific Blackboard communicated steps.
Once the website ownership has been verified, you can submit your OAuth verification request by going to https://support.google.com/code/contact/oauth_app_verification.
On this page you will fill in
- Full name, which is likely already pre-populated, but you may change it if you would like.
- Type in the institution phone number.
- Type in your domain for Homepage URL
- Type in the name of your institution for company name.
- Type in your institution website for company website
- Type in your email address
Next fill in
- Number of unique users (students and instructors)
- Select anyone on internet
- Select Yes (if you answer no, your application will be rejected)
- Write the same product name that was on the Consent Screen
The next lines require the Project ID, If you need to reference back for the project id, you can go back to https://console.developers.google.com and click on your project at the top left corner to the right of Google APIs. It will pop up a screen and the ID will be the product name.
The next line on the verification form is the OAuth Client ID, if you need to reference this, you’ll need to go to credentials to copy the client id from the OAuth Client ID section.
For listing the specific ways your app will use each scope, you will type:
Our Application will use the https://www.googleapis.com/auth/drive scope in conjunction with the Google Picker in order to allow users to upload and link to files from their Google Drive in our Learning Management System, for example, to provide a syllabus as in instructor or submit a file for an assignment as a student.
Our Application will use the https://www.googleapis.com/auth/youtube scope in conjunction with the Google Picker to allow users to link to their Youtube videos for the purposes of sharing them in our Learning Management System, for example, to provide a video for students to watch as an instructor, or to provide a video of a musical performance for an assignment as a student.
You can say no to play store developer, you can leave the next question blank that reads any other information that will be useful. You leave primary programming language blank.
You can leave primary server operating system blank and you can select N/A for where is your server running.
Once that is completely filled out, you will go ahead and submit the form. For the next step, you will need to be on Qwickly version 5.1.3 to complete this step. You can get the latest version by clicking here. You will then go back to blackboard and enter the Qwickly cloud settings where you need to put in your Client ID and Application Key, then submit settings.
The application key and client id can be found on the credential’s dashboard here, https://console.developers.google.com.
Appendix A - Steps from Blackboard to verify Blackboard domain for manage hosted institutions
1. Navigate to https://search.google.com/search-console/about making sure you are logged into the appropriate google account
2. Click Start Now
3. Add URL for the environment you are verifying
4. Click Add Property
5. The Verify Ownership window will pop up
6. Choose Other verification methods > HTML tag
7. Copy the HTML tag provided to a text editor Example: <meta name="google-site-verification" content="MKoV0z2nB7vI2N9oGXqEAVySRZ0xuZZvl4bU2TB4k" />
8. Add header tags to the meta tag you copied. Example: <head><meta name="google-site-verification" content="MKoV0z2nB7vI2N9oGXqEAVySRZ0xuZZvl4bU2TB4k" /></head>
9. Login to your Blackboard environment as Admin
10. Navigate to System Admin > Communities > Brands and Themes > Customize Login Page
11. Download either the system default or current customized login page.
12. Open the downloaded login page in a text editor and add the line from step 8 to the very top of the page > Save the file
13. On the customize login page use the Browse My Computer Option to upload the edited file.
14. Select Use Customized Page > Submit
15. Back on the Google Verification Methods screen click Verify
16. You should receive a confirmation that verification was successful.
Once these steps are completed, click here to complete the rest of the steps.